SUMMARY OF POSITION: Provision of psychiatric care to agency clients, and, as necessary, provision of consultation, supervision, and education to agency staff, teams, department, and administration. These duties may apply to any or all patient settings, e.g. inpatient, outpatient, residential, and emergency.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide Evaluation and Management services, which include Psychiatric Evaluations and follow-up care, for clients with mental health and substance abuse disorders, as well as for those clients with developmental disabilities. The staff may be called to provide these services in a variety of settings, such as a traditional clinic office, primary care office, emergency department, school, or other community location.
- Provide health education centered on prevention, diagnosis and management of mental health and substance abuse disorders, as well as the relationship between mental health and physical health, to clients, their support networks, agency staff and the community.
- When clinically indicated, prescribe medications in accordance with formulary and relevant regulations of the State of Vermont.
- Create and maintain medical records appropriate to the above activities, and to the degree not already accomplished, and consistent with ethics, provide signed documentation as required by federal, state, and corporate funding sources.
- Provide telephone support or in-person evaluations as needed for emergency services in a crisis situation.
- Provide collaborative care with members of the psychiatric staff, nursing staff, members of clients’ treatment teams and community providers.
- Will complete and meet continuous education standards and expectation for both state and national standards
- Practice in accordance with local and national standards and expectations with respect to Ethics, Code of Conduct and Scope of Practice applicable to the profession
- Maintain applicable, active, certifications and licensure for the profession
- Participate on a regular basis in peer supervision with other agency psychiatrist and medical personnel.
- Successful completion of the educational requirements for a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) from an accredited school for professional nursing
- Carry active certification as a PMHNP by the ANCC.
- Hold an active license to practice as a nurse practitioner in the State of Vermont
- Hold an active license to prescribe medications appropriate to the scope of practice as a nurse practitioner by the Drug Enforcement Agency
- Have proficient computer skills, especially in the area of documentation in an Electronic Health Record.