SUMMARY OF POSITION: A Residential Counselor promotes emotional stability for eight residents with psychiatric and/or trauma disorders through friendly daily interactions and supportive counseling in a DBT-informed community setting.
Specific Duties and Requirements:
- Develop residential goals with one or two residents: design objectives to meet goals in conjunction with the treatment team, keep records, share information with other agency clinicians and assist the resident in scheduling necessary appointments.
- Role model and teach living skills including cooking, housekeeping, laundry, budgeting, shopping and personal hygiene.
- Be familiar with and speak to DBT principles including skills, behavioral theory, contingency management, cognitive restructuring, validation, mindfulness and dialectics.
- Help residents become comfortable in the community through various outings including shopping trips, walks and recreational activities.
- Crisis intervention as needed.
- Monitor and administer medications to residents.
- Take responsibility for one or more administrative areas including but, not limited to weekly grocery shopping, house maintenance tasks, keeping fire safety records, or managing petty cash.
- Provide house coverage 40 hours/week including on-call asleep overnight.
- Provide residents transportation to medical appointments or community functions as needed.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Education: B.A. in psychology or related field required.
Experience: Previous work with the psychiatric population is desirable.
Additional: Valid driver’s license, excellent driving record and safe, insured vehicle required.